Curly holiday hairstyles to try this festive season
The festive season is upon us and with social calendars filling up, it's time to learn a simple yet beautiful holiday hairstyle for your holiday get-togethers. From flat iron curls to simple ways to boost a basic ponytail, we have a few styling must-knows that will enhance your holiday look.
Flat Iron Curls
Curling hair with a flat iron seems like an oxymoron. Most of us have seen it done, or have had a stylist do it for, but it's not as complicated as it looks! This technique is surprisingly simple and takes just a bit of practice and technique to get it right. Instead of using your flat iron like a curling iron, think of it as curling a ribbon with a pair of scissors. Wrapping your hair around the flat edge and pulling actually creates a soft curl.
- Start with clean and dry hair and choose the right tool.
- Your flat iron should be 2.5 to 5 cm wide and no wider. You should also look for a flat iron with smooth, curved edges to ensure a gentle curl.
- Make sure your flat iron is set to medium heat.
Use a traditional curling iron for more robust curls and a classic curly look.
Start with clean and dry hair and choose a curling iron according to how tight you want your curls. The thicker the iron, the larger the ringlets, the smaller, the tighter the curls.
- Set the curling iron to medium heat, or to high heat if you have thick, coarse hair.
- Apply a heat-protecting styling product. Again, we love:
If you are looking for a simple updo that is classic and stylish and easy, a curly ponytail is the look for you. You can toss those pre-curled locks into a ponytail, or rather than spending a ton of time curling from roots to tips, try putting up your hair first and then using the same steps as above, to curl only the hair in your ponytail.
- Once the hair in your ponytail is curled, take a 1 to 2-inch piece from the bottom of the ponytail and gently wind it around the hair elastic at the roots to cover the elastic and finish the look. Secure the hair with a bobby pin